Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Happy Music

I was working through some writing exercises the other day and one of the prompts asked, "what music makes you happy?"  Now oftentimes rapid fire prompt activities cause my brain to freeze and I need to let it sit and simmer within my head before I put pen to paper.  But such was not the case with this question.  The answer came to me immediately ... and took me by surprise.

My Workout Playlist.

For someone who has always loathed the word "exercise" and has never adopted any kind of regular workout routine (most likely stemming from the fact that I am athletically challenged and somewhat uncoordinated, rather than I do not see the value in keeping fit)... I almost wondered if my brain had misunderstood the question... or perhaps blurted out the wrong answer.  But as I considered the possibility, I realized how blessed I am to have found a reason to want to walk each day, rather than dread it.

At this point I have maintained a regular walking schedule since April 8 -- striving for a minimum of two miles a day five days out of seven.  I have not achieved "perfect attendance" but I have not allowed that failure to keep me from starting over again the following week.  I even treated myself to the first pair of running shoes I have ever owned --- purple of course --- and I am anxious to start logging the miles.

So in honor of "happy music" I thought I would share this eclectic play list... although I feel I need to offer a disclaimer of sorts for some who may be reading this blog.  I first and foremost choose music based on rhythm and beat.  I like fast-paced, spirited songs ("foot stomping" music my kinfolk might have said).  Secondly, I listen for melody.  I enjoy music that has a memorable tune - one that I can humm along.  And lastly, I listen for lyrics.  In fact, sometimes lyrics are incidental to me (except for those of Mumford and Sons which are always supreme)... and thus will explain why perhaps a couple of these songs are not exactly rated PG.  But it is the rhythm and melody that keep me moving... and that is what makes me happy.

  1. Send Me on my Way by Rusted Root
  2. Awake My Soul by Mumford and Sons
  3. Don't Stop Believin' by the Glee Cast
  4. My Hallelujah Song by Julianne Huff
  5. I Gotta Feeling by The Black-eyed Peas (video = adaptation for the literary lovers)
  6. Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men
  7. Roll Away Your Stone by Mumford and Sons
  8. Viva La Vida by Coldplay
  9. Such Great Heights by The Postal Service
  10. Beautiful Day by U2
  11. Sigh No More by Mumford and Sons
  12. Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield

3 comments:

  1. I love to walk, but I just think about it instead of doing it. How do you motivate yourself to walk? What time of day do you walk and how do you fit it in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Queen Bee --- thanks for stopping by :)

    Actually, I have just recently moved from the "think about it" mode to the "actually do it" mode... although I still fear I will revert back to old ways.

    I guess there are two things that have helped to motivate me. First... I have come to the realization that I need to make it a priority. I cannot let myself off the hook. So I tell myself --- it is only 30 minutes out of the entire day. I don't let myself off the hook to grade papers; I don't let myself off the hook to brush my teeth. I just have to put walking in that same priority category.

    And secondly.... I really do think it is the playlist. The songs make me want to move.... It took a while to find the right mix for me... but it was so worth it.

    Let me know if you would like a walking partner (although miles a part)... I would be glad to help keep one another accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost all of these are on MY happy playlist :) Music is such a great motivator!

    ReplyDelete