Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

Everything Pumpkin

I had intended to wait and post this recipe in the next segment of Weekend Cooking, but I was so excited by its success that I simply couldn't wait that long.

I do enjoy pumpkins.  I enjoy the annual visit to the patch, I enjoy watching Charlie Brown and Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin's arrival, and I enjoy the festive decorations using these lovely gourds.  Along with many others, I greatly anticipate the first offering of Pumpkin Spice Lattes in coffee shops across the land.  And I have used pumpkin in a variety of recipes:  the quintessential pumpkin pie, frosted pumpkin cookies, and even turkey pumpkin chili.  This morning however, I tried something new… but it will definitely become a staple this time of year:  Pumpkin Oatmeal.

I probably pinned this recipe over a month ago, and I had great intentions of trying it immediately. But you know, life happens and the pin was forgotten.  However there is nothing like a challenge and a deadline to motivate me to action.  Since Trish's Pin It and Do It challenge ends this Thursday (and I have two more pins to complete), I decided that now is the time to try this unique breakfast item.

I have never cooked oatmeal in a crockpot, but I am now a convert!  I loved waking up to a warm, filling breakfast without having to mess and fuss first thing in the morning.  And the creamy texture was the perfect consistency.  The recipe first appeared on the website, Peanut Butter and Peppers, and it is most assuredly a winner!  I encourage any pumpkin devotee to add this to your fall recipe collection.

Pumpkin Oatmeal in a Crockpot

Ingredients

  • 1 cup steel-cut oats
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (I used a rounded measurement)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (again, I used a rounded measurement)
  • 1 teaspoon stevia, or to taste (I omitted)
  • 1 pinch salt
Directions
  1. In a bowl that will fit inside your crockpot (this inner bowl makes clean-up a breeze and eliminates a crust forming on the top of the oatmeal)…. add all of the ingredients and stir to combine.
  2. Place bowl in the crockpot and then fill the crockpot with enough water  to come up half-way on the inner bowl.  Set crockpot on low for 6-8 hours
When ready to serve, I added a bit of brown sugar in the bottom of the bowl, ladled in the oatmeal, sprinkled a few walnuts on top and then drizzled with a bit of maple syrup.  The result was a rich, decadent and filling dish that will keep hunger at bay all morning.

There are plenty of leftovers that I anticipate will make a quick microwave warm-up for easy breakfasts the rest of the week. Mmmmm…. quite satisfying….


2 comments:

  1. I was making my grocery list when I read this... and added steel cut oats. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I found you through the 365 link up but now I just love you because I've been meaning to look up a recipe and make this for weeks now and I can never remember! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete