Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Weekend Cooking: Steak Soup

The cooler fall temperatures have awakened a craving for one-pot comfort foods.  In the past two weeks I have made chili, chicken pot pie soup, and steak soup.  Last night I pre-cooked some chicken for the upcoming week; I plan to make a chicken/tomato stew and perhaps chicken tortilla soup.  I am sure this domestic mood will soon pass, but I have sure enjoyed the meals (and leftovers) these past few days.

I had all intentions of posting the recipe for chicken pot pie soup last week, but alas I could not coordinate my photography with my hunger and we finished the soup before I had a chance to take a picture.  I am quite sure I will make this personal favorite again soon, and this time I will have the camera ready.

I did learn my lesson, however, and managed to click a few images while preparing the steak soup.  I received this recipe years ago from a good friend and since that time I have tweaked a little here and there to suit my personal tastes.  As with most soup recipes, it is good served right away, but even better the next day.  The flavors blend together and intensify, making it the perfect antidote to a cold dreary day.  Eating a bowl in front of the fire, dogs by my side, watching the World Series.... well, there is nothing better.

Steak Soup

First, brown 1 pound ground meat, drain the grease, and set aside.

Next, in a large pot saute ....

  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
Once the vegetables are cooked to your liking (I prefer them a bit crunchy) add...
  • 1/2 cup flour to thoroughly coat the vegetables to help thicken the soup.
Next, add the following and simmer about 4 hours ...
  • 32 ounces chicken stock
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
  • 1 bag frozen corn
  • 1 lb. cooked ground meat
  • 2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons A-1 steak sauce (the original recipe called for BV, but that is sometimes difficult to find and I like the robust flavor of the A-1)
The soup is good as is, but being an Italian household we feel the flavor is enhanced by sprinkling the top with some grated parmesan cheese and serving crusty Italian bread on the side to help sop up the juice.  Deliziosa!


13 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! We've also made chili. And, chicken and dumplings. It's a great season for cooking!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds delicious! I've also been in the mood to cook which must mean it's the change in weather. Nothing else triggers a domestic response anymore, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I know what you mean about adding a bit of grated cheese on top. Yum. And I love the image of the fire, the soup, the dogs, and the series. Classic fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really hearty winter warmer! I always forget about taking pictures of what I'm cooking -- my husband now reminds me sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm, I think I could make that gluten free for my son. It sounds delicious! It's definitely soup weather around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any soup is better with a little grated parm! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We never ate soup until a few months ago. This sounds different than anything we've tried (A-1 steak sauce?), but I'm adding to my list to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now, this I've gotta try - I have never put meat into a soup - except for pea & ham....

    ReplyDelete
  9. This time of year I start making more soups and chili as well. It is nice to come home to a hot bowl of something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soup! Is there anything better than hot soup on a cold day? This one sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sound yummy! Will try it this winter, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never tried meat in a soup, other than chicken or ham. Sounds deliciously hearty and comforting for a cold day.

    ReplyDelete