Pages

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Read-athon Update: Dancing for Degas


As I mentioned in my start-up post, I had no intention of reading for 24 hours straight, but my goal was to read throughout the day and try to rekindle a love of reading fiction.  So far, the event has been a success.

Since my last update, I have read another 229 pages in about 2.5 hours.  I am re-reading Dancing for Degas by Kathryn Wagner, a book that I reviewed here.  However, I wanted to re-read the book in light of the upcoming NaNoWriMo event.  The protagonist, Alexandrie, is striving to become a star dancer in the Paris Ballet.  She is noticed by Edward Degas and he hires her as a model.  His pastel paintings of her are so successful that they begin to spend more time together, which she hopes will lead to a romantic relationship and then marriage.

As in the other book I read, The Painted Girls, these ballerinas often come from poor homes whose families are relying on their wages to help make ends meet.  Since ballerinas are paid so little, these girls supplement their income by becoming mistresses of the wealthy patrons.  It is indeed a Dr. Jeckyll/Mr. Hyde society where the ballerinas are viewed as angelic royalty while on stage, but reveal a dark, immoral character post-performance.

I hope to finish the book before going to bed this evening, although I am not sure that I will write a summary read-athon post.  It has been a glorious day of reading however, and reconnecting with fiction, and rekindling a love for an old passion.  Thank you, Dewey, and all those who have made this event possible.  I am thrilled to have had the opportunity to participate, and I look forward to spring, 2014.


1 comment:

  1. My last reply for the event. Congrats on all the reading you did! We didn't really stay up for the whole thing as we wanted to, but some of us made it to about 3 in the morning.

    Hope to see you again next year! Happy reading. :)

    ReplyDelete