Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sunday Salon: Writing ..AND.. Reading

It is taking a while to get into my new teaching routine, but I shall be there soon.  This week yearbook duties were successfully transferred to a capable replacement, and I should now be able to enjoy my new weekly schedule of working three-days followed by a four day weekend.

A portion of this additional free time is reserved for my writing endeavors, and I have had a rather productive week in that regard.  On September 1st I began a free online writing program hosted by Cat Wearring entitled, 30 Day Product Creation Challenge, where the goal is to write an ebook in a month's time.  Cat sends a daily email with a motivational message and exercises designed to keep us focused and stay on task.  While I have enjoyed reading the daily assignments, it wasn't until yesterday that they all seemed to culminate into a personal epiphany.

This is not another NaNoWriMo event where the goal is to write a 50,000 word draft of a story any which way you can; it is far more manageable, and Cat even offers suggestions for finding a viable idea.  Writing fiction is significantly outside my comfort zone, but for some reason I have not found a suitable non fiction topic to sink my teeth into.  I know that I want to practice travel writing, and I have a few memoir ideas, but nothing has grabbed my attention and ignited my passion to write for my own pleasure.

But as I was reading through this list of possible ideas (for the second or third time) I realized something:  I have been waiting for the 'blockbuster' idea rather than writing the smaller pieces.  I have placed such unrealistic expectations on this first writing endeavor that I set myself up for failure before I have had a chance to begin.

Writers write.  And I just need to follow that axiom.  I shouldn't worry about the size of the project or the audience appeal, I should just write what I know and what I feel needs to be told.

So this week I will be working on my ebook project:  Finding Joy in the Moment:  Spiritual Lessons through Photography.  I currently have twelve chapters outlined and an introduction drafted.  I have not been this excited about a personal project in a long time, and I look forward to the work and the joy I know it will bring.

On the reading front.... the heat wave broke in the midwest and cooler temperatures have finally arrived.  With the advent of this fall-like weather, my youngest and I have embarked on a Harry Potter read-athon.   While there is no deadline to complete this goal, it is my hope to have the entire series read by the end of the year.

I believe this is about the third or fourth time Mandy has read the books, but it will be my first.  I own the entire series in a variety of formats:  hardback, audio, and blue-ray video (I am most definitely committed to the series, I just have not made it a reading priority). While I do not typically listen to audiobooks (I find it difficult to follow without focusing on the written word), I am hoping the soothing accent of Jim Dale will help me to overcome this issue.

I have read the first five chapters of The Sorcerer's Stone and hope to read more on this relaxing Sunday.  The audiobook is loaded on my iPhone and I plan to listen while driving to and from school.  Hopefully I can finish the first book this week and then give a brief review in the next Sunday Salon.


10 comments:

  1. I love your project. I would read it. Yes, writers write. One more time, with feeling: writers write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess, I haven't read HP yet either, though I had huge summer reading parties at the library on years when new books came out.

    I'm happy th hear your excitement about your e-book. !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to read the first HP book...and read just a few pages. Not my cup of tea.

    But so many love the books...I wanted to love them, too.

    Love your new blog and your new project. Enjoy!

    Here's MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of your ebook writing project. You'll have to let us know when it's finished. I'm glad the quest for a perfect idea didn't hold you back from starting. It sounds like you found your perfect topic anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the title of your book, Finding Joy in the Moment: Spiritual Lessons through Photography. I have experienced that but could use some instruction and encouragement to make it happen more often.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're in for a treat with the Harry Potter books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your book project sounds very interesting! I have found a few really interesting photobooks that I am enjoying. I am a pretty seasoned photographer - I have been photographing for 30 years -, but there is ALWAYS new inspiration, new things I can learn, new ideas - it's so fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome title you chose for your book! I hope to read it once it's available!!

    I haven't read the HP books. I haven't even seen the movies other than the first one. Maybe I'll read and watch them one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read the first HP book aloud to the girls when they were younger, but never really got into it. Told them they were on their own for the rest.. 2 of the 3 devoured them. Have heard wonderful things about Jim Dale's narration. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you enjoy the Harry Potter series!! I look forward to the day when I can read these with my own girls. I haven't listened to the audios but I've heard they are great. In my own audio experience I have found that the more I listen the easier it is. In many ways it is a learning experience that takes time!

    Good luck with the ebook! That's fantastic that you've found a topic to be excited about.

    ReplyDelete